10 May 2006

Martina's Missing Trophies

Earlier this week, Tennis legend Martina Navratilova was angry to learn that some of her Wimbledon Trophies has been sold at an online auction, according to reports in a USA Today report.

Her 1979 Wimbledon doubles trophy (won with her then doubles partner Billie Jean King) and two singles medallions, fetched a staggering $39,000 on Lelands.com - a US based sports memorabilia auction site.

"I'm very upset," the nine-time Wimbledon singles champ reportedly said from Warsaw, where she was competing in doubles at a Sony Ericsson WTA Tour event. "I have no idea how any of my trophies could end up on an auction site. I am missing a couple of semifinal medallions from 1976 and 1980, and also a few things have gotten lost over the years, but I don't remember giving any of my trophies to anyone, especially Grand Slam trophies. I would never give away a Grand Slam trophy."

A Lelands.com spokesman said the name of the person who provided the Wimbledon memorabilia for auction has been given to the tennis legend's attorneys who reportedly contacted the auction house on Wednesday.

"I would like to know how they have authenticated that it's my trophy," the 49-year-old Navratilova said. "They didn't get in touch with me to even check if it was missing."

Nearly two months ago another great of tennis, Bjorn Borg, shocked the world of tennis by announcing his intention to auction five of his Wimbledon singles trophies for 'financial security.'

Borg later decided not to sell the trophies after receiving phone calls from several former tennis stars, including John McEnroe.