04 June 2006

Roland Garros Reports - Part 2

Sunday Tournament Day 1 -
I arrived at the ground today at 10:30am to avoid the vast majority of the crowds on the metro, I went straight to my seat on Court 1 for the first match of the day - Eleni Daniilidou v Ai Sugiyama - The first set was pretty equal, Ai playing a very solid game and Daniilidou showing the pure beauty of her one handed backhand, Sugiyama took the early lead but Eleni managed to take the first set 7/6 after some hard fought points. Sugiyama took total control of the second set, racing through points and not really giving Eleni any chance to get into the set - Daniilidou seemed to be in quite a lot of pain with an abdominal strain injury, so perhaps this was distracting her slightly - Ai then went on to take the second set 6-0! The third set was much more level, both players did a few doubles faults, Eleni did far too many unforced errors - and you could tell from her body language that she had lost some confidence and Sugiyama went on to win the match 6/7 6/0 6/3 Next match up was Tim Henman v Kennith Carlson, there was huge British support for Tim on this first day of the tournament and in his usual style left all the fans on the edge of their seats in a match of inconsistency and nerves. Tim finally pulled off the win 6/3 6/4 4/6 6/4 to going to the second round.

Monday Tournament Day 2 -
My day started with everyone else on the packed metro to Porte d'Auteuil, even if you don't know your way to Roland Garros, all you have to do is follow the massive crowd of people walking from the metro to the grounds. Today the weather was cold and very changeable - the first match I watched was Francesca Schaivone v Aylona Bondarenko on a busy court 8 (I think) Schiavone played with all the style and confidence that we are so used to seeing from her these days, she took control of the match right from the start and the crowd were really appreciating her tennis with crys of 'Allez Schiavone' ringing around the stands - Bondarenko really had no weapons to threaten the Schiavone game, and Francesca went on to win in just over an hour 6/3 6/3 As usual, at the end of the match all the children ran to the front with pens, paper and extra large tennis balls for Schiavone to sign, I also went to the front and spoke to Francesca, congratulated her on a great match, she was lovely as ever and thanked me, then signed my ticket. I then left the court and walked to the far end of the grounds to see who else was on court - I bumped into a few friends of mine and spent the next hour or so chatting, gossiping and laughing about our experiences in Paris this week. Then after I made my way to court 16 for the match between Katarina Srebotnik v Anna Smashnova - the weather conditions changed constantly during this match, one minute hot sun, the next cloud and huge sploges of rain!! The first set was very even, with some beautiful backhands from Smashnova and gentle next exchanges from Srebotnik, the first set went to Srebotnik after breaking Smashnova's serve to take the first set. The next set began with more nerves from Kata and slight inconsistanices from Anna, really the second set could have gone either way, but Smashnova held her nerve to take the second 6/4 - third set was a bit all over the place again, with more UE's from Anna, Kata eventually won 6/4 4/6 6/2

After this match, I went back to the other side of Stade Suzanne Lenglen to court 10 to see American Ashley Harkleroad v Croatian Jelena Kostanic - Harkelroad seemed quite impatient and wanted the match to be over as soon as possible - she was also getting a bit irritated by some of the line calls - Harkleroad to the early lead, but after some hard fought points Kostanic made a very late charge to come back into the game again - I then left the match as the game was put on hold while Kostanic waited for the trainer. I walked around the grounds for a while, looking at all the racket strands in the main avenue outside Court Philip Chatrier, by this time the weather was much better, still cold but at least it was sunny - I watched some of the Nadal match on the big screen in the Place des Mousquetaires Then I went to court 3 to see Feliciano Lopez v Tomas Berdych - Lopez is so talented, and a beautifully stylish player - but he also comes across as such a prima donna, I think he is even more concerned about his apperence than Anna Kournikova!!! hahhahahhahahaha
I was very lucky in the place I was standing as from this point I could continue to watch court 3 but also watch court 2 for the Svetlana Kuznetsova v Laura Granville match. After that match I then went on the long walk back to the metro station in Porte d'Auteuil in the evening sun of Paris - I had a great time at this wonderful tournement and can't wait until I go back again next year!!!

But before that.....next stop Wimbledon!!