02 July 2006

Wimbledon Reports - Part 1

My first day at the All England Club started in the same place as usual - at 7am in the Wimbledon queue! This year there was lots of freebies being given out - a free visor given away with one newspaper, a nice purple and cream bag with another newspaper - then they came round giving out pieces of free cake and free boxes of tea bags! (hahahhahahhaha....typically British!) Then after 2-3 hours of queuing was given free glasses of fruit juice and mineral water followed by the last freebie of the queue - a lovely ice cold pink apple!

After getting through the security screening I made my way into the club, met with a friend and headed over to Court 15 for the match of Eleni Daniilidou v. Shuai Peng - Eleni played some really beautiful tennis. She was really mixing it up, never afraid to come into the net and playing the most beautiful backhand passes that even Henin-Hardenne would have been proud to have hit!! Once again though, the main thing that let her down was the serve - if she could sort that serve out once and for all, she would definately shoot straight up to the top 10! Daniilidou was getting quite frustrated, talking and shouting at herself for silly errors - she was being incredibly animated throughout the whole match. Eventually, Peng took control and won the match in straight sets.

I then headed over to Court 3 to watch some of the Baghdatis match - he is such a showman and the Wimbledon crowd love him!!! The court was very busy so after a set I went for a walk - saw some of Meghann Shaughnessy v. Alona Bondarenko, then on to see Emilie Loit v. Anastassia Rodionova on Court 9, then to see Ana Ivanovic v. Emmanuelle Gagliardi for a set - after I headed up to Court 13 to watch Michaella Krajicek v. Samantha Stosur. Really surprised that Krajicek lost that match, she seemed so calm, in total control and with her current form she would have been one of picks to do really well at these Championships. After I went over to see Mashona Washington v. Julia Schruff, there was no doubt Mashona was gonna win that one! I then went for a walk around the club, walked past Richard Williams and as I looked over at him - he smiled, waved and said 'Hello' (He definately recognised me from Roland Garros a few weeks ago!!!)

After that match I met up with some friends, then headed over to Court 15 again to see Anabel Medina Garrigues v. Su-Wei Hsieh. Anabel was on great form and was way too good, winning easily in 2 sets. At one stage in the match a group of Su-Wei Hsieh's male fans turned up and called out 'You're hot, Su-Wei!' at the change of ends which was very funny!!! Anabel was laughing and poor Su-Wei looked very happy at the compliment but her face was bright red with embarrassment!! hahahhaha When the match finished I went over to get Anabel to sign one of my photos for me - she was lovely, she willingly signed for me and said how much she loved the photo, she was showing it to the woman who was standing with her (I guess it was her Mother) Anabel kept saying how much she loved the photo and I promised to get some copies made for her and she was sooooooo thrilled!!!! She was really excited and said thanks that would be fantastic!!!

Then I went to Court 14 to watch Nicole Vaidisova v. Katarina Bondarenko - wow, Nicole is a really talented player!! She has a great serve and seems so focused, she definately my tip for a future Wimbledon Champion! After, I headed back to Court 3 to see some of Dinara Safina v. Jill Craybas match, then I made a very quick dash to Court 1 to see Tathiana Garbin v. Martina Hingis - my match of the day! Even though I didn't have a Court 1 ticket, I managed to talk my way on the court just in time for the start. Considering the time was about 7.30pm the court was really packed, which gave the whole match a great atmosphere. Garbin gave it her all, she played some great tennis with some added trick shots which you would usually played by Mansour Barhami!! hahahha Throwing her racket at the ball in the hope that it will get back over the net, doing 'hot dogs', slam dunks and at one time, she ran so hard for a shot she ended up in the front row of the seating!! hahahha After much laughter she 'high fived' everyone one around her and the match continued - Just to add, her shot was good and called in! ;) The crowd were all cheering for Garbin, and at the changed of ends the crowd started to do the Mexican Wave which went non-stop around the stadium about 5 times! Eventually, Hingis took full control of the match and went on to win in straight sets. The crowd gave both players huge cheers and everyone seemed to really enjoy the match - it was a great way to finish the day!