07 July 2006

Wimbledon Reports - Part 2

My next day started once again in the queue at 7.30am - there was lots of freebies being given out today too! I got another free visor with my newspaper, then some promotions people form the WTA Tour came round with free Sony Ericsson lanyards (neck straps to hold your mobile phone) and packets of WTA mints!! (Also later in the day I got given free copies of Ace tennis Magazine) Chatted to a lot of people in the queue today, spoke to a nice Spanish man who was in front of me and to an American woman who was behind me in the queue. I got through the gates at 9.45am and then went up to the practise court. Players seen walking around the grounds - Kim Clijsters, Andrew Murray, Leander Paes, Sania Mirza. On the practise courts was Amelie Mauresmo with her coach Loic, Francesca Schiavone hitting with doubles partner Kveta Peschke, Leander Paes and Sania Mirza.

Today was incredibly hot, so I tried to stay out of the sun as much as possible, I went down to the far end of the grounds watched a bit of the men's doubles match that was on Court 5, then I went to Court 14 to see some of the Verdasco match but it was far too hot, so I went and got a yummy Haagen Dazs strawberry cheesecake ice cream and sat in the cool area under Centre Court - whilst sitting there I saw Tracey Austin rushing through at top steed eating a sandwich on her way to the commentry boxes. After I went back to Court 5 and the endless men's doubles was still going so I went and got a cold drink, then went to see the Paola Suarez/Vivi Ruano Pascual v. Samantha Stosur/Renee Stubbs doubles match. Paola and Vivi were in total control and looked like they were loving being out on the grass of SW19!! Then I went to Court 4 to see Jana Novotna in a women's veterans match - even though Jana hasn't played on the tour in years, she looked great!!! It was so good to see her back at Wimbledon again.

Finally, when the endless men's doubles match had finished, I went to Court 5 to see Eleni Daniilidou/Anabel Medina Garrigues v. Anastassia Rodionova/Andrea Vanc - Eleni and Anabel were in great spirits, chatting and laughing with eachother. Eleni seems to be the tachtical mind behind the partnership, giving advice to Anabel on stratagie, while Anabel's job seems to be the motivator for the pair. Daniilidou was definately the best player on the match, in the first set she was doing some amazing serving and awesome net play!! Throughout the match Rodionova kept complaining and questioning all the linecalls which was really irritating Daniilidou - at one point in the match Eleni started to question the linecalls also and said in a comical sarcastic way to the umpire "Well, if she's allowed to complain about everything, then I can too!" hahahha Really love the humour of Daniilidou!!! The second set saw the Daniilidou serve starting to go a bit off, and the Rodionova/Vanc partnership were starting to play a bit better - but Daniilidou/Medina Garrigues came back strong again in the third to win the match!! As they were leaving, the court staff tried to take the Wimbledon towels from them, but Anabel stepped in and said "This towel is mine, you're not getting it back! I was given this towel to use and I'm not finished with it, so you can't have it!" hahaha She then got the umpire involved in the whole thing and eventually won the argument and walked off (very happily) with her Wimbledon towels!!