26 September 2006

WTA Titles for Paszek, Hingis & Kuznetsova

Fifteen-year-old Tamira Paszek of Austria won her first WTA Tour title on Sunday, beating sixth-seeded Maria Elena Camerin of Italy 7-5, 6-1 at the Portoroz Slovenia Open.

Paszek, ranked 259th, played her first WTA tournament in October 2005 in Linz, Austria, where she reached the second round. She joined her country's Fed Cup team last year.

"I played eight matches in nine days," Paszek said. "It was hard, but unbelievable. I am very happy."


Tamira Paszek (right)


Martina Hingis defeated first-time finalist Olga Poutchkova of Russia 6-0, 6-4 Sunday to win the Kolkata Sunfeast Open for her second title since coming out from retirement.

"I'm happy with the way things have gone this year -- my climb in the rankings has been very satisfying," said Hingis, who was ranked No. 9 entering the final. "I'm now enjoying the game more than when I was 17."

The 18-year-old Poutchkova, who is based in Florida, lost in 55 minutes.

"It was a learning experience for me and I was a bit nervous," Poutchkova said. "I tried to make a comeback in the second set, but she doesn't give you many chances."

Martina Hingis















Also on the WTA tour, Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova won her second title in two weeks with a 6-4 6-0 victory over France's world number one Amelie Mauresmo in a rain-disrupted China Open final on Sunday.

The world number five, who also triumphed in Bali last week, claimed her eighth career title when top seed Mauresmo's game fell apart after a two-hour break for wet weather.

"I'm just so happy," said Kuznetsova, who was runner-up to Serena Williams here in 2004. "She was not playing great, not at her best, and I put pressure on her and played pretty well."

Mauresmo apologised to the crowd for not making more of a contest of the final.

"I'm disappointed, there's nothing much to say, she just played much better than me, especially after the rain," the 27-year-old said Mauresmo.



Svetlana Kuznetsova

"It's my goal to one day be number one but I'm not rushing to this, I'm just enjoying every moment," said the Russian champion. "I think I have the possibility of doing it but I'm not obsessed by it."